Synod archives home
UC Historical Society
Wesley Hobart Museum
Original Display Room est 1927 showing some of the objects
Housed in chapel and church buildings erected on the Melville Street
site in 1825 and 1840, Wesley Hobart Museum is one of Australia’s
foremost Uniting Church working museums.
The museum was established in 1927 as a “memorial to the departed trustees who faithfully served their generation”.
Today, the museum’s volunteer and professional staff conserves and
interprets a remarkable Methodist heritage collection comprising
tangible and intangible cultural elements received from the Wesleyan and
Primitive Connexions and including the catalogue and archive records of
Australia’s first public library 1825 to 1845.
By arrangement, museum staff are able to assist visitors and
inquirers with access to Tasmania’s (Van Diemen’s Land) Methodist
Archive dating from 1820 and are available to conduct site and museum
For inquiries, site visits and museum tour bookings, contact us on +61 3 6231 4481 or by email email@example.com
More information about how we work and what we do can be found in our current Terms of Reference, Collection Policy and eHive Collection.