Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation LinksCSS

VicTas Website > In The Community > Royal Commission > Counselling and Support Services

 Counselling and Support Services

Immediate access to Counselling

If you wish to receive counselling there are a number of ways this can happen. 

Support via the Royal Commission.

The Royal Commission identifies a wide variety of support services, national and state based.

Psychological and Psychiatric Services

If you would like to see a psychologist or psychiatrist locally we suggest you use the Better Access to Mental Health Care program -

The UCA will pay any gap between Medicare rebate and actual costs of the above program.

If for some reason you are not eligible for the above program please contact the UCA regarding other financial support options for immediate counselling.

Contact :  Ethical Standards Officer Tel:  (03) 9340 8825     


Confidential and Independent counselling resourced by the Uniting Church

Bethel Pastoral Centre () 59 Doncaster Road Balwyn North VIC 3104 Ph: (03) 9859 8700



Additional Reporting and Counselling Services for Victoria

•             Sexual Assault Crisis Line 1800 806 292 

•             These organisations listed on the Department of Human Services website are located throughout Victoria and will deliver free services such as counselling, support and case management to individuals and their family members before, during and after their interaction with the Royal Commission:,-families-and-young-people/sexual-assault/support-services/sexual-assault-support-services-contact-list

Additional Reporting and Counselling Services for Tasmania

•             SASS - Sexual Assault support service (for recent or past assaults). Ph: (03) 6231 1817 24 hour service

•             Relationships Australia – Tas. Hobart, Devonport and Launceston employ dedicated counsellors for historical abuse. Ph: 1300 364 277  Website:

Independent Legal Advice

You may like to consider getting independent legal advice regarding your options and ways forward. 

Knowmore is a free, confidential advice line which gives independent service to people who are considering telling their story or providing information to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse.

Tel: 1800 605 762 


​Accessing information about your time in a Uniting Church facility.

For information about records available please contact the UnitingCare Victoria and Tasmania Unit (and soon the UCVT Heritage Service) will be able to be inserted instead;) Initial Contact is Vaso Howard on Tel: 9251 5262 or

Open Place (support service for Forgotten Australians).  Tel:  1800 779 379,

 Open Place can also assist and support you in your search, particularly if you lived in several institutions and/or were a ward of the state.


In 2004 the Uniting Church issued a formal apology to the Forgotten Australians. To access this apology click here:

Personal apology

If you would like a personal apology from the Moderator of the Uniting Church – Synod of Victoria and Tasmania, either in person or in writing, please contact TeL: 03 9251 5216 or Email: